Header Ads

Chrome extension for Google Tasks

Google recently released a long-awaited API for Tasks.  They also immediately made available, code and all, an extension for Chrome that lets you access Tasks via a toolbar button.  This is great news for people who use Tasks.  (Previously, you'd have to have Tasks open in a window or tab, or access it via Gmail.)

A particularly cool feature of the extension is that you can add a task in two interesting ways:
  1. you can just type t your new task in the Omnibar, no matter what web page you're on, and the task will be created; or
  2. you can highlight text on any web page, right-click, and add that text to a new task.
This is good news for minimalists like me.  I'm going to have to seriously reconsider Tasks for my own task management system.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - do you know if there is any way to setup a keyboard shortcut to view and close the task list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atom42, thanks for the comment.

    The notion of keyboard shortcuts is disjoint from extensions in Chrome. Your question piqued my curiosity, so I spent a few hours trying out shortcut managers for Chrome. I couldn't find one that worked well (or, in many cases, at all) for Chrome on a Mac. There are some that allege to allow one to embed javascript of your choice into a binding, but I couldn't get them to work. That would probably be the way to go.

    So, at least for now, I'd have to say that to the best of my knowledge there's no way to do the shortcuts you need.

    I would finally note, of only peripheral interest, that in the process of my searches, I came up with a very nice alternative to the official Google extension, called Better Google Tasks (http://www.chriswiegman.com/projects/better-google-tasks/). Unfortunately, it doesn't have keyboard shortcuts either

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.